Sinner's Former Fitness Coach Makes Extraordinary Revelation About His Doping Saga

News
Thursday, 03 April 2025 at 20:07
sinner jannik australianopen25 imagoaap4

Umberto Ferrara, Jannik Sinner's ex-fitness coach who bought the product that ultimately led to the ATP world No. 1 testing positive for a banned substance, made a startling admission about how the situation occurred.

Sinner tested positive twice for clostebol at the 2024 Indian Wells Open after being contaminated without his knowledge from massages given by his physiotherapist at the time, Giacomo Naldi.

The physiotherapist had used trofodermin for a cut finger. That product contains clostebol, and Naldi then gave messages to Sinner while still having the substance on his fingers, leading to the contamination.

It was previously thought that Ferrara had recommended trofodermin to Naldi without knowing about the clostebol contained, or he had not realized that clostebol is prohibited for tennis players.

However, Ferrara's version of events is different and shocking. He told Gazzetta that he has used trofodermin for years to manage a chronic disease and knew about clostebol being banned.

"I have been using it [Trofodermin] for years as prescribed by the specialist doctor as a support drug for a chronic disease. I was perfectly aware of the ban and I have always kept it with the utmost caution, in my personal bathroom."

Ferrara confirmed he recommended that Naldi use his trofodermin for his cut finger, but also claims to have told him only to use it in his private bathroom and to keep it away from Sinner.

"I didn't give anything to [Giacomo] Naldi (the physio), I suggested using it because he had a cut on a finger that didn't heal and made his job complicated."
"I was very clear in communicating to Naldi the nature of the product and that there was no need to get it in touch with Jannik. In fact, I only allowed it to be used inside my personal bathroom. Naldi did not deny that he had been informed, but said he did not remember."

While it is somewhat refreshing to hear honesty and clarity from Ferrara, many will find it staggering that he used and recommended a product that contained a substance that could damage Sinner's career.

Ferrara's use of trofofermin for years makes it seem improbable that Sinner did not know about its existence. The three-time Grand Slam champion is not a medical expert, but it feels like the topic of him having a substance he should avoid would be mentioned.

Sinner's not knowing that Naldi had the trofodermin on his fingers during the massages is plausible, and Ferrara might have assumed that warning Naldi about it would be enough without telling the ATP star.

If that is the case, Sinner has paid for Ferrara and Naldi's actions with a ban from February 9th until May 4th. However, some will understandably question whether Sinner knew that Ferrara had been using a product containing clostebol for years before the fateful incident in Indian Wells.

Sinner will return to tennis at the 2025 Italian Open next month. Gilles Simon expects the 23-year-old to play at a high level and not be rusty when he returns to the court.

Popular News
Just In